View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
gz

Default Re: Getting a car out of canada

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Cars are brought into the US from Canada all of the time. Done properly, it is quite easy and should be an uneventful experience. If the car was originally built in the USA, it is even easier.

There are a couple of ways you can do it:

-Go over and bring it over yourself. Jwaldrich's account on the above post is typical of the experience you will encounter. Yes, sometimes there are hickups, but most time this goes smoothly.

-Have a professional custom's broker do the paper work for you. It costs about 300.00 to 600.00 depending on who you use, but it will assure that there are no problems going across the border and/or when you go to register the car in the USA.

-Hire a transport company that does over the border transport professionally. They will pick up the car at the seller's house, handle the paperwork and bring it into your state, which I am assuming is Michigan.
Reliable Carriers nows offers this service. They can deliver it door to door or just bring it to their facility near Detroit (Canton) and you can arrange transport from there. PM me if you want a contact name/number at Reliable that specifically handles Canadian/US transactions.
Another company is Thorsons, they are Canadian based, but bring cars across the border into the Detroit area.

I have used both Reliable and Thorsons for this service before. Not necessarily cheap, but effortless, painless and reliable on all accounts.

If the car was built in the USA and is 25 years old or older, there are no import taxes or duties.

Beware of non-professional shipping companies. People have been taken when they have used non-reputable or inexperienced company's to do this. Bringing a car across the border is a legal transaction and needs to be done properly by people that are licensed to do this.

Yes, the seller can bring it over for you, but the paperwork still needs to be in your name and filled out by you, since you are importing the car. I recently had a seller agree to bring the car over but I used a custom broker to handle the paperwork. That worked out real easy.

You will need to file your driver's license (or passport) and your Social Security Number will be required whether you do the transport yourself, hire a customs broker and/or shipping company to do this for you.Even if the seller brings it over for you, this will be needed in order to legally process the paperwork.

Whatever way you choose, it is a easy process as long as you follow the rules and do it right.

Last edited by gz; 01-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote