View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #128
Kube

Default Re: Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Just stamping the blocks with a "99" wasn't working out to ID them at the factory so the dark blue color change was the what they came up with. It probably was in late 1940 or early 41 when they changed the casting cores and shell mold to the later design which eliminated the core sand holes in the pan rail and changed the profile of the intake deck to have the raised appearance. The 239 engines kept this color thru 1948.
Very good and accurate information Rotor... as usual!
To add a bit: The so called "program" with which a person might get a Merc engine installed in a '40 Ford was unofficial in 1940. That, and the very cumbersome requirements to even seek permission for such an install no doubt kept the number so built extremely low.
In 1941, this "program" became official but remained largely "unannounced". The number of '41 Fords built with a Merc engine was quite a bit higher than the previous year.

NO 1939 Fords were built with a Mercury engine. Sorry guys - it simply didn't happen.
As a side note of sorts, the "raised deck" blocks were not introduced until August 1940, far too late to have been installed in any 1940 Ford.

By the way, I have witnessed first hand a total of four (well documented) 1940 Fords built with a Mercury engine. All engines were painted green as were the transmissions. I had owned one of these cars and still own one other.