View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #2
Mac VP

Default Re: Looking for a new job-maybe...

I’ve also thought about this question because of the general aging of some of the guys who are experts in various fields of early Ford restoration work. Guys like Dick Spadaro are gone and those still here on this earth are not immortal. My trusty assistant, Will Kimble, could take over doing early Ford 3 speed transmission rebuilding after I hang it up, but he’s pretty clear about not doing the overdrive transmissions. I’m in my later sixties and enjoy doing the overdrives but I don’t plan on doing these for 20 more years.

I’ve thought about offering to do a weekend training session for prospective transmission rebuilding guys but not a localized thing.....something that might involve a small but seriously interested group from around the country. Sort of a “spread the knowledge around” kind of thing so that our expertise won’t just sit in the Ohio area.

This may be just a pipe dream on my part but I’ve kept thinking about it. We hear from customers all over the country that they can’t find anyone in their area to work on their old Ford transmission, especially the overdrive transmissions.

I believe a similar problem is looming in other types of repair.....carburetor repair, distributor rebuilding, rear end work, and other specialties. The guys who have learned all the particulars of these things have, like us, made the mistakes of learning from scratch and became very good at what they now do. Will that knowledge be lost as we age and retire or pass on?
www.vanpeltsales.com
www.classictransmission.com
Mac VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)