View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Removing dents from a 31 Radiator Shell

It is simple you either beat it out and file it smooth and hope you do not cut through or you know enough metalworking to know how to properly get the dent out.

A picture may help people tell you which way you have to go.

Really stainless is not so simple to get right. There are a lot of ways to mess it up. I know I spent the time and money learning. You need the right buffing equipment plus you need to spend a lot more money then you think to get the right sanding supplies.

Contrary to what what said above, stainless is hard. It is thin so it is easy to make move, but sanding it is nothing like working regular sheetmetal. As pointed out the stainless dent is likely stretched and will require shrinking at the point. If it is deep some annealing happens too to help the moving. Being the metal is thin you need to be able to move the metal pretty close to the correct spot. No filling allowed and you need to sand down the high spots. Done wrong it gets real thin and you will NEVER get it right. Yes, I know from experience. I have a bunch of 'junk' shells I learned on before I tackled the good one. Even then I managed to mess up some.

Oh, then keep in mind you might have to buff out the whole shell so your repair does not look so much better. If you do not have a real buffer I can tell you that you will be very busy for days.

If you have a good shell with no cracks your best money hands down is to get it to a guy that has a great reputation and let him do the work. It would be worth every penny of the $300 or $400 I believe it costs.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote