View Single Post
Old 03-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #11
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Flywheel Housing Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Herm, I'm a bit confused as to your shimming process. Not clear to me where you use shims, other than the two top bolts that take the .010" slotted shims. Could you expound as to your shimming? The photo that shows Indian Head shellac applied on the top portion of the gasket. What's going on there? Shims under the gasket, or???
The gasket cement go's on the top, and bottom of the gasket, I just stopped in the middle of the job, to take a picture.

Ok, you have 4 bolts in the middle of the housing, NEVER us shims there. The housing has to set level on the block, to seal the cam gasket, you would also take a chance on distorting, or cracking, the housing, and it is not needed for anything, anyway.

The The two bolts that are out side of the housing, at the Top, are the ones that will take shims, if needed. As far as shim thickness, there are times that a .010 thickness is to much, and you will not use it. 90% of the time, you will use, .003, .002, and .001 thousandths thickness.

NO. 1., The first thing you do is set 9:00, and 3:00, to as close to Zero as you can get, about zero, to .002. You will have a different thickness of shim packs under each bolt, most of the time. Leave that, 24 hours, and then readjust, as needed.

No2, second step, 12:00, and 6;00 have to be as close to the same reading, as possible, with each other, they do not have to be the same, as 9 and 3. Now again, you leave it for 24 hours. The shim packs this time adjusting will be even in thickness, +, or -, to get it right.

So what you have now is 4 equal points for the bell housing, to bolt to, 9 & 3, and 12 & 6. So now the pilot shaft, will bolt, in alignment with the pilot bearing, if the crank is ground, and set correctly.

If you use a to thin of a gasket, it sometimes does not take shims, don't remove metal, use a thicker gasket.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote