View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Looking for info for restoring model A pickup

Charlie - What was the interior materials?

Have heard previously truck's door cards/etc. were originally painted black flexible cardboard stock material- no cloth or rubber/vinyl/cloth covering.

Were the cards trimmed/sewn?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
The most common mistake is to finish the bed wood with a natural finish, it should be painted body color. The radiator, headlight buckets, cowl band and taillight buckets were regular steel painted black. The radiator shell is the same shape as the passenger car, except as noted it was regular steel painted black. There was an AA shell that was deeper (for a thicker radiator) and lacked the peak in the top center. The radiator shell emblem was blue like the passenger cars. No cowl lights. Be sure to include a "dispatch box" in the right cowl panel. The running boards were steel with a diamond pattern, not rubber covered like the passenger cars. The spring in the rear was heavy (maybe same as 4 door sedans, look it up) but I put a roadster spring (7 leafs) in my '31 RDPU and glad I did. The original spring was too strong and left the rear of the truck too high in the air in my opinion. There was no rear bumper. There was only a left side brake light but I added one on the right using the same bracket bracket used on the left side. There was a deluxe pickup but it was an entirely different bed and easy to identify. It was not just a standard one with stainless trim added. Since the pickup was built on the passenger car chassis everything is pretty much the same as the passenger car. How about some pictures?

You should add your general location to your profile, you never can predict when and how it will pay off.

I read the book "Restoring the Model A Pickup" years ago and wasn't very impressed with it. If you can find a copy somewhere that you can thumb through you might save some money.

I hope people make corrections and additions to my comments if required.

Charlie Stephens
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote