View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Block cleaning at home

Yesterday I removed the valve assembly and cam from my 59 engine with 3 1/16" bore factory replacement block. Prior to yesterday I had pulled the other components and now I'm getting ready to do a 'shade tree overhaul' on this thing. It had two stuck pistons, but showed very little wear. 500 watt halogen and clean new 3.00 power reading glasses show no cracks anywhere. I have a set of hastings rings, my new ball hone, goop hand cleaner, along with new 8ba valves and guides. Seats look shiny new in the 6 cyls that weren't stuck, a bit pitted in the ones that got some water. I have my Black and Decker valve seat grinder and pilot and am ready to go. Today's question is about the sequence of cleaning and machining. The valley has the usual black sludge and I removed most of it yesterday. Do I want the block perfectly clean and dry before I grind valves, hone the bores and drill lifter bosses ? Then after all the grit, wash it again? I bought a stiff 1 1/2" bottle brush and a 1/2" round brush along with the standard 'parts brush' we've seen for years. I have read how to clean the bores after honing here on the barn, but don't see much on cleaning block when a hot tank isn't used. Seems all my flathead books discuss what to do when the block returns from the machine shop all nice and clean. Yes I know it's highly recommended to hot tank, magnaflux, pressure test etc, but that isn't going to happen. This will be my 6th flathead overhaul, but the first contaminated with valve stone grit, which must get everywhere. At this point I have used gunk on it, but most areas are still a bit greasy and sticky.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote