View Single Post
Old 11-27-2018, 03:05 PM   #359
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Home Valley station.

To the north of El Questro is Home Valley. 1970. It had been owned by Harold McNamara who had just sold and moved to Wyndham and bought a taxi cab - that was his retirement and now he was much older than most who retire. A bloke from Perth had bought Home Valley and he didn’t have much idea of how to run a rural property let alone an outback one. I went across to muster his cattle which Harold was taking possession of as part of payment. Harold told me about his earlier days. He and a few ringers had ridden 2 days and stolen a good number of cattle. It took him 3 days to get them home. He dropped off the branded cattle and got only clean skins back. The cops suspected Harold and went to Home Valley to do a search. Harold hired them a horse team and provided for them. Harold said they spent considerable time barramundi fishing . Very lucrative Harold said and we all enjoyed ourselves. Of course they didn’t find branded cattle. Do you think I’d be so stupid he asked. Harold certainly was a scallywag and knew what skulduggery was.
Cattle theft in America is known as cattle rustling. In Australia it is known as poddy dodging. I have known many incidents which never did come to the owners attention. There was no such thing as boundary fences. Aerial mustering could be used to poddy dodge. I didn’t know where property boundaries were and being young, keen and naive was easily hoodwinked. I’d muster where I was asked. Aeroplanes didn’t leave marks like a stock camp would.
Home Valley had a good quality herd, Santa Gertrudis or cross bred. They had been part of the Wyndham meat works stud.

I have deleted from here on as I have discovered part of the station history on the internet and some of it contradicts what I had written. I will rewrite it, possibly for tomorrow. It is even more interesting than I had imagined.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-27-2018 at 04:01 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote