View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #15
Benson

Default Re: Alternator Voltage Regulator Burning Out?

[QUOTE=John Borland;1670160]Thanks guys, I have the engine grounded from the battery ground position on the frame to the tranny, and also from the flywheel casing to frame. Will check to see if I can ground the alternator separately as suggested.

I really don't think I'm been getting bad alternators from Advanced Auto since three alternators all exhibited the same symptoms. Don't want to take it back until I have some insight on what is going on. I’m sure Advanced Auto doesn’t want to keep giving me replacement alternators until I can get to the root of the problem. Of course if the current alternator is fried, I will have to get another to see if improved grounding is the culprit.

The car runs geat, would this be the case with a ground so bad that it fries the volv tage regulator in a manner of seconds? Will keep all informed; y keep any suggestions coming in.[/QUO TE]

You say above that alternator fries in seconds ... Maybe original was positive ground alternator? If your battery is positive ground and you are installing neg ground ones from parts store that could be why they are burning up!

Many parts Stores do not know the difference.

Most parts stores sell NEG ground alternators ... POS ground ones are special order!

Last edited by Benson; 09-04-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote