View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #319
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Today I finally got some time in on the wood wagon project. I think that when I had to cut out my rear sill piece because of poor planning I lost some momentum. Well there was the holidays and then tons of work in the shop, but today I ran out of excuses. I just was not happy how the side panel elevations could not be 'wrapped around' at the rear of the vehicle with the old sill in place. There are far more pieces involved in this new sill design, but I was able to incorporate a threshold piece that the 3/4" t&g fir flooring will butt into. This threshold piece is 1" x 4 1/4" and I opted to rout the 3/8" angle iron brackets into it flush and using a 3/8" stainless carriage bolts through the bracket, the maple, the 3/4 treated plywood subfloor and a full dimension 2x8. I need to get some oval head screws larger than #14s for the vertical holes or perhaps the top one should be a chrome or stainless blind nut fastener like we see on woodie bracketry. I know all these steel brackets will see some severe service on our bumpy island roads and my half mile of steep, rutted gravel 'road' up to my place.... I set my mockup door into the new opening and I like it now. With all the wood on hand for the rear barn doors and the fact I can build them in my wood heated cabinet shop, I hope to build upon this newfound momentum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut out sill woodie 015.jpg (71.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 004.jpg (57.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 011.jpg (43.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg woodie rear sill repair 015.jpg (53.1 KB, 87 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote