View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #24
Greg Jones

Default Re: question from a young guy

Hang in there and try your best to be patient. I was in your shoes at the age of 12. My Dad had the foresight to save his father's 1926 Model T Coupe, but it was in bad shape, stored outside, etc. It needed a complete restoration. The old iron pistons were rusted in the block from it being stored outside for awhile at my Uncle's farm after we moved. I remember falling in love with that cool old car but had absolutely no idea how to fix it up. I dreamed of driving it someday, but of course at age 12 starting a restoration was beyond my means and Dad had 7 kids to feed so money for restoration was just not there. As I got further into my teens I met others who did Model T restoration and learned things. Yeah, it wasn't until I was in my early 20's and had a decent paying job that I could afford to really start the restoration. However, while I was waiting I learned welding, some basic machining skills, and some painting skills from a wise old neighbor. This gave me a foundation to apply when the time came. I am 65 now and know it is hard to be patient when you are young. Nobody likes to be told to wait! But if you keep the passion burning, the time will come. Learn what you can about these cars, maybe buy some books, learn some skills or at least research them on line. Best wishes and keep at it!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote