View Single Post
Old 04-05-2020, 02:50 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Which Model A for a coast to coast trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
If you were to set off on the adventure of traveling leisurely from coast to coast in a Model A, which version would you select?

I sure my 29 Sport Coupe is a poor choice for various reasons.

I’ve only owned roadsters and this Sport Coupe before. Could a wagon be a good choice? Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jeff
Jeff, my choice would be to use what you have simply because you know what it is. I don't know how many passengers you are speaking of, but if more than just you, my choice would be to fabricate or purchase an old single-wheel trailer to haul a little extra gear. If you are unfamiliar with these type trailers, here are two links;

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123761

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58682

The typical space in one of these would not be much more than your rumble seat area sans the cushions. The cool thing about one of these is you can add some LED caution lights to the back to help you in more remote roads where the motorists will hopefully see you at a greater distance before they overtake you.

Also, the biggest reason why I would not build/buy something unique or special is because after the trip is over, that vehicle is not as versatile. Having something that you would use frequently after you return from your trip makes the Coast to Coast trip still stay fresh as you are telling folks of your adventure very time you are out in the car.

Also, I would make your Model-A as bulletproof as possible by limiting the amount of modern modifications that you make. IMO, you don't really need an overdrive transmission. If you slow down your average speed for the entire trip by 5 - 10 mph, it will likely only prolong your trip by about a day from start to finish. With the advent of internet, should you have issues along the way, chances are you(-or Fordbarn members) can find someone local to your break-down that will have parts & facilities to get you up & running. Therefore I would not carry a lot of spare parts that just add weight and slow down your car's performance. Again, the biggest asset I think you will have is you preparing the vehicle yourself where you know what the condition of each component is. If you have familiarity with each component, should something arise along the way, problem solving is much easier.

Just my 2 cents.......

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)