View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Rear backing plate bolts too long,did search.

I actually found so much helpful information by doing a search on past post on this issue. Three Saturdays go I took off the rear backing plates to send off for rebuild and I never noticed at the time that two out of the four long bolts were shouldered too shallow.These are the four bolts that also fasten the rear radius rod to the rear axle. I really didn't notice anything until I was putting everything back together and two of the long bolts would tighten up with an 1/8" slop. Finally putting the ones that would tighten up and the others I could see how differently they were made almost 3/16" difference in the length of the 7/16" threaded area,all original bolts. I ordered couple from Snyders just to see if they made them correctly and they are enough to tighten down. I figured on the old theory that you cannot go wrong with original parts but this time I was wrong.I also thought mayby the original bolts were made of better material which doesn't matter if they do not fit. The search I did showed this problem over and over again on this forum,only thing I can figure is that Ford or a supplier had a bunch of a big run of wrong fitting bolts and used them up over many Model A Fords or these were an early replacement part made wrong. Mayby in the assembly line it was something not noticed for quite while in the days of no recalls only service letters.