View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #729
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

To ETAModel and others with an interest in Aviation.

All of my 4 kids were bought up around aeroplanes and my two sons decided on flying as a career. However they reckoned they needed a change from those oily old radial engine aeroplanes. They had big stuff in mind.
They both, respectively, two years apart, turned up at the Tocumwal airport which was 10 miles to our south and asked for a job. They swept the hanger, cleaned the swimming pool at the airpark, cleaned toilets and all the other grubby jobs. They rode there on their motor bikes each day of their summer school holidays taking the back roads to evade cops because they were too young to hold a drivers licence. They saved their money and paid for glider (sail plane) lessons. Then they airtowed the gliders. Their work experience started there where they were taught good work ethics by people who provided good leadership. Today they are senior captains on international airlines. Two other pilots started likewise and they to became successful ag operators.
Some time ago I asked the foreman from that business if they had young ones starting. He said no but added they did come and ask about a job but their only interest seemed to be how much would they be payed. None were interested in aeroplanes or aviation careers. So Mr ETAModel, if you are interested in aviation I am sure there would be opportunities at your local airport similar to what I have described above. You will get a better start with a hands on grubby job than starting with a clean and pressed shirt at a‘flying academy’ and finishing with minimum experience and a bill you couldn’t jump over. Most pilots I know willingly pass on their experience and expertise and these blokes are in the industry and not in flying schools. Now that’s a generality I know.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-06-2019 at 03:57 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote