View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #5
johnneilson

Default Re: Model B Motor Oil System Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrunmotor View Post
Thanks-that would explain why previous gasket covered the entire surface and not just the edges.. is this the galley area you mention in enclosed picture?
yes, that is the oil feed galley. the hole you are pointing to is the feed to the center main bearing.

it would appear someone has set this up to actually pressurize the mains, I say this because the port inline with the dist/oil drive is plugged. you will also want to look at the front of the galley, it will probably be plugged where it would dump oil onto the timing gears (facing forward).

All this being done, if you use the gasket, make sure to cut a hole for the oil to feed thru the gasket from the fitting in the cover, make it larger than the hole in the fitting coming in.

I have had really good luck without the gasket, YMMV, I use a Permatex sealant called MotoSil, it is a form of silicone sealant the hardens up pretty good. Obviously surfaces must be reasonably good condition and clean.

If and when you ever take the pan off, look at the rod caps, more than likely they are closed up and that is a good indication the crank is drilled for oiling.

John