View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #14
WHN

Default Re: Thermostat use-yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
This is a popular viewpoint, and it's certainly true that the Model A is a durable and forgiving car. I would only add that I suspect your cars have often never really gotten up to optimum operating temperature. Henry didn't really have a lot of choice about "liking simple" in regard to designing the car to run without a thermostat: reliable thermostats weren't invented until the mid-'30s. As soon as they existed, Ford and all other car manufacturers adopted them. Before that, the more expensive cars rigged up variable shutter arrangements to control air flow through the radiator, because even back then everybody knew that getting that motor up to an optimum temperature asap was a good idea if you could do it.
I don't disagree with your comments. I can only mention again what my experience has been. We have owned one Model A for over 40 years. Never a heating problem. Thousands of miles driven, some in high summer heat. Our other Model A's also were fine.

Sound engine, good radiator and water pump, correct timing, right weight oil. If as Henry built it or at least close to it. Will go another 90 years, assuming they can still buy gas.

I don't think a thermostat will help add to the longevity of engine. They already have lasted 90 years. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote