View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
Corley

Default Re: The Old Opportunity Motor

How about turning some adaptors to replace the babbit, adaptors are clam shells that go between the block and some insert bearings. It will become the goto fix, and you will get rich. Your wildest dreams of fame and fortune will come true, and you will invest in space travel, where the gov. will fund your next big discoveries, making you even richer when you discover the fountain of youth on planet zebruniky.

But wait, I kind of got side tracked for a minute there... Actually, I'd chalk it up to fun.

Or, you could practice your cast iron welding skills on it so next time you have another option. Years ago, I bought a tractor with a rod hanging out the side of the block. The block hole piece was missing, about 2" in diameter, so I cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the hole, and tried to weld it in place. Used what we called "Ni rod". High Nickle content. It would crack right behind my weld. Tried it from the inside, outside, etc. Until I gave up and smeared it over with body filler. Been running fine for over 25 years now with no leaks, no peal off, or any issues. Great $100 tractor.

Junk can be fun!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote