View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #23
Old Henry

Default Re: Great Plains Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Craig,

How much time do you spend in preparing your car for a trip like that? Do you put it up in the air and inspect the undercarriage? Are you ever ill at ease while driving down the road?. Even though my '34 is tip-top, I'm always ill at ease while driving it....

Since I drive my car every day and keep it maintained and repaired for that daily use, there really isn't any "trip preparation" that I do. If my 5,000 or 10,000 mile maintenance is due I do that, or, whatever is due. But, no "last minute" prep.

The only "ill at ease" I felt driving this trip was driving in heavy 40° wind and rain without even a long sleeve shirt, much less anything more to protect me if I had a breakdown. I even went into Walmart to try to buy something and they had nothing with long sleeves. Glad I never had to face that adversity.

There is still, on occasion, a mechanical surprise on a road trip to deal with but they seem to be getting further and further in between. I don't worry about it any. I feel my 71 year old car is as reliable as my wife's 6 year old one.