View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Nathan_1929

Default Re: My 1929 Closed Cab Pickup Project

Looks like I'm going to have to go back and re-link all my old pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_1929 View Post
I don't have any decent pictures yet, but everything came out well. I had the crank ground, cam ground, babbit mains and rods poured, installed the pistons, installed new fiber gear and nut. I have modern valves and adjustable lifters, and.. every other dang thing I can think of.. ready to be installed.
Sorry for letting this thread fall off the face of the earth. I've returned with updates.

Test-fiting the valves after installing camshaft, adjustable lifters, and one-piece valve guides.

Lapping the valves.

Springs/keepers/retainers installed.

Setting valve gap as a function of lift. Easier to do now than when it's in the truck, although I'm sure adjustments will be necessary.

This carb was solid rust covered in grease/dirt, abandoned, to never see the light of day again. I'll give it another shot at life.

Everything actually came right apart and the inside was surprisingly good. In fact, I'm going to keep the original venturi in it because 1) it looks fine, and 2) it's stuck and would require a special puller that I don't feel like making/buying.

I decided to use a phosphoric acid treatment from Rustoleum. The bottle said it works in 30 minutes, but that seemed too optimistic to me, so I let it sit for an hour. Worked great!

A wire brush and some elbow grease finished it off. Then, paint and reassembly.

I picked up a tank locally (Los Angeles) and had it boiled out and sealed. It's tough to find a shop in California that does this kind of work still.. but Gardena Radiator hooked me up.

I went back to Missouri (where the truck is) and pulled the original engine.. without a hoist. That required throwing a strap over the barn roof beam, attaching a come-along and a chain, and inching it up. More like half-inching, actually.

There was a typo on the title paperwork for it, and I had to bring it to an inspection station to get the VIN re-inspected. I asked if it had to be assembled. No. Ok.

I was messing around with the old engine. Removed the crankshaft bolts, stood it vertically, and tried to lift the 65lb flywheel off. The rust on the crank locating/dowel pins refused to budge and lifted the whole ~400lb assembly. Impressive.

I also prepared a transmission I had sitting around. Clean-up, paint, and new bearings.

I was back in town for Thanksgiving and working on the truck. If I follow my self-imposted schedule, I could have this running/driving by the end of the year. Odds of following the schedule? 50/50.. especially since the weather might not hold out for my big sand-blasting/painting ideas.

Rebuilt the water pump:

Rebuilt the oil pump with new bushings, gears, gaskets, and fasteners:

Rebuilt the distributor:

Lots more work to do over Christmas break.

I'm going to sandblast/paint the frame and install the engine. I'm currently working on steering components, and... rebuilding a 1930 A engine I had sitting around.