View Single Post
Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Speedy Canuck

Default Sidemount Brackets - Domestic and Foreign Cars

Hi all,

I don't do much posting on here, but I do read lots and try to glean information when I can. I had a question regarding side mounts on model A chassis.

I have a bare frame in my garage that is a dual sidemount. I know this is a North American frame. The sidemounts are the standard style that are available as reproductions - they bolt to the frame and bolt to the bolt pattern on the wheel.
They look like this:

64-21366.jpg

I also own a 1929 Ford Phaeton that came from Uruguay. It is also a dual sidemount car. However, the frame does not have the above mentioned brackets. Instead, there is a vertical rod that is threaded at the top, with a clamp that hooks over the tire. You tighten the clamp on the rod, and it holds the tires in the fender well's.

You can see it in this picture:

IMG_6033.jpg

Is there a reason for the difference? Factory built or possibly a dealer option after the fact? Just a difference based on assembling plant or early design vs. later design?
The phaeton has fender well's on both sides, so I'm leaning towards this being a factory thing and not dealer/aftermarket.

Thanks for the help!

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote