View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
G.M.

Default Re: 6 blade fan for 35 Ford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
If that 6 blade fan is mounted to a conventional type alternator, I would be concerned about that front bearing not being designed to take the addional load of that fan. I know some will say they have been doing just that for a zillion years, BUT... I would not personally take that risk.
John the alternators I made in the 39 type Ford generator shells have two sets of bearings in the front so I'm not concerned of the load.
Bullrun I have tried several Ford 6 blade fans they made a little improvement but I couldn't take the noise they make. I was searching through Schramm compressor's parts attic and found some 6 blade industrial fans, some pushers and some pullers. I adapted several to my generators and had to trim the blades. This was over 7 years ago with a lot of miles and no problems. I used grade 8 bolts and a drop of lok-tite on each. I check to make sure the blade is tight and see no problems. The Ford blade throws the air off to the side toward the hood louvers where the industrial blade throws it back over the engine. These fans made a big difference in cooling. Someone should reproduce these, where's Dick S ??? G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COOLING 2.jpg (69.7 KB, 26 views)