View Single Post
Old 06-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
TommyCoupe

Default Water Pump Packing ?

I have been restoring my A for about 2 years now. It's a project that I started about 25 years ago, then started again about 2 years ago.
I started on the body first this time because 25 years ago, I stripped the car down the frame, and put a new rebuilt engine in it. The engine ran at idle a few times but that's where I stopped.
Now that the body's painted I needed to freshen up the paint on the engine and frame. I decided I would strip the engine down, and pull the head, the valve cover and oil pan. That way I could inspect and give a shot of mystery oil before hand cranking it.
After opening it up, I was amazed how good it looked. Very little rust inside the valve cover and everything else looked clean. The antifreeze that was left in the engine was a little sludgy, but not bad.
There is one thing i am concerned about though.
When I pulled the water pump, there was what I will describe as a glob of fabric type stuff wrapped up in the impeller and some pushed into the cooling passage of the head.
I'm guessing that it's waterpump packing, but it seems like a big glob. I'd say that it was a soggy handful.

Does this sound normal ?

Tommy-
TommyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote