View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #605
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

I have been reluctant to take this story outside my local area because of some degree of loyalty, however my attitude has changed because of the thuggery standover tactics of blatant authority of our local government. My change of attitude is unrelated to this story.

Our shire has a worldwide reputation.

Malaysia has 2 states in Borneo, Sarawak on the west coast and Sabah on the north east. Sabah has the infamous towns (to Australians) of Tawau Sandakan and Ranau which is at the foot of Mt Kinabalu. The death march where Japanese soldiers marched 2700 soldiers to their death. Only 6 survived.

I know both Tawau and Ranau well. Never been to Sandakan and I’ve always regretted it as I did work only 30 miles from it. The town closest to where I did considerable work was Lahad Datu commonly called LaDatu. A shabby town with a mixture of shanty houses built on stilts over water and new semi high rise apartments which once looked okay but are now grubby with fungus. Lahad Datu did support a good supermarket not quite to western standards and a good hotel, the Executive again a good standard. Every other enterprise was of third world standards.

There were several banks but one only of western standards. The Standard Chartered. It did have bullet holes in the wall because it had been raided by Philippino pirates. The day they made their visit, the police and army quickly vacated town. The pirates emptied the armoury and they released the prisoners who immediately joined forces.

On one occasion the town had an influx of three western engineers and wives which made up the sole population of whites. They were there to pipe water throughout the town. Now back to the Standard Chartered Bank. Like western banks they provided an ATM or hole in the wall. One afternoon whilst withdrawing cash I was surprised find a western woman standing behind me. This was most unusual. Hello I said. She responded. And where do you come from I enquired. Germany she said and you she asked. From a small town in Australia that you would never would have heard of I replied. Just where she asked? Oh, you wouldn’t know it, just a small place. Do try me she insisted. Tocumwal I said. And then comes the punch line. “You live in that rotten Berrigan Shire.”

Well we all have complaints about our shire but I hadn’t thought its reputation was known in far away Europe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lahad datu.jpg (31.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg berrigan.jpg (35.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg germany.JPG (29.0 KB, 5 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote