View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Bearing dimentions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post

Also, Dale has it correct to get a desired brg clearance, BUT, you don't have that "grinding-the-crank-size" option when ALL the components are "new", it isn't in play, for instance when you purchase a new stroker kit!! For correct clearances in this scenario you have very limited options for any correction!
I had a very expensive custom billet crank made for our Flathead Cadillac Bonneville engine ($5K price tag - 6 months wait) - and though I requested a specific bearing size/clearance, they ground everything to stock sizes (we were using BBC bearings) - about .002 on the mains. Given this is a 3-main engine, making 650 HP and we're putting 21 lbs of boost on it, I needed the clearance - or we'd hurt it. (We needed .003 to .00325 on the first two mains and .004 to .00425 on the rear). So . . . we 'fixed' it . . .

I have a REALLY GOOD crank grinder - who has the equipment, experience and attitude to do amazing things. He took the brand new crank and ground it for another .001 of clearance . . . taking .0005 off the journal. Now THAT is precision work!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote