View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #5
hardtimes

Default Re: Float A motor and noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I had a lot of drumming noise on a 31 coupe. I installed a good sound deadener most everyplace I could reach and still have a fair amount of noise and some of it seems to be related to engine speed and maybe even coming from the engine vibration to the frame. This car has float A motors instead of the stock motor mounts. I suspect the noise might subside if I install the originals with the new rubber insulation pieces, but wonder it I'd get the same result with a full set of new biscuits for the float a motors. Anyone have any experiences along those lines?

Hey Davey,
I just changed out all of the rubber parts of my FAM rear mounts. It has been years since I installed them and had started experiencing a bit of clutch chatter. Reasoning that the engine angle had changed due to these rubber parts going bad, I changed them...including the rubber part at the top rear of transmission.
Snugged it all down as per usual and there was a noticeable improvement in engine angle and no more chatter. Pads were worn out !
My engine runs smooth, so as not to ripple a cup of water, when tuned good. And, it is not stock. A couple of other things that I did that also improved / eliminated, IMO, engine sounds from frame...B front mount which is also rubber mounted. I also installed a vibration crank balancer last year. It all adds to a balanced smooth running engine.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote