View Single Post
Old 02-10-2024, 12:49 PM   #17
jeepguy1948

Default Re: bad ammeter effect

Just my opinion (after 45 years as an industrial electrician) ammeters is general are a weak link in any electrical circuit especially when dealing with 6-12 volts. The ones made for automotive use are of very low quality and prone to failure because they can’t handle a lot of current for very long because the overheat and fry. I find that in an automotive type situation the ammeter can really slow down the battery charge. On a Model A, when the generator is swapped for an alternator more current is available further loading the ammeter so generally changing the ammeter to one of higher amperage readings is a good idea. I’m not saying that an ammeter is not of no use, I’m saying it’s a weak link. Personally, I leave them in place for appearance but bypass them and install a quality voltmeter (I get mine from Westach). If you know what to look for a voltmeter will tell you more about charge/discharge of the battery. You can argue all you want about how great it is to have but it’s still a weak spot in the system. The right option for an ammeter is to have one which uses a shunt that carry’s to load and actually provides voltage to run the ammeter (think about it this way; the oil pressure gauge will tell you the oil pressure without all the oil flowing through it, same with the temperature gauge.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote