View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #104
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
The hydraulic systems were nearly identical, with some parts even being interchangeable, as I remember.
The major obvious difference was the engine. The Fergie was overhead valve while the N series Fords were flathead, being basically half of the 239 V8; pistons, valves, lifters and timing gears being the same. Both the Fergie and Ford grille designs were also used here in the States. When I was a kid on the farm the 9, 2, and 8N fords were everywhere, and TE and TO Fergies were common. Dad bought a 1947 TE20 when I was about 10. Put a lot of hours on the seat of that tractor.

When I was a kid we had Farmall A's and a TD6 and a W4. I have only now realised the correct name was a Farmall Model A. Well I suppose it's been more than 50 years since I drove one infact seen one. I spent my weekends and school holidays driving them. I was so young I didn't know how my dad could drive faster than I. I didn't know there was such a thing as gears. In fact I couldn't depress the clutch fully as I was too young. I used to steer it while dad fed hay to the stock from the trailer I was pulling.
I am having difficulty in attaching picture of Farmall Model A so I will close this before I fluff it and try again on new page.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote