View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 07:13 PM   #8
Karl Wescott

Default Re: 34 pickup grill lacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
It is the same cowl and hood welting used on all '32s. The original material had a hard core, but the available replacement has a relatively soft core, which means that over time the hood will 'sink' and the belt rail moldings will no longer line up with those on the hood.

On my (fiberglass) roadster I originally used the replacement for original style, knowing the shape change issues (stretching in length, shrinking in girth) I made the lengths about 3" short. Then pulled with about 200 lbs force (yes I weight that much) to tension the lacing to snap into the slots. I did not need to shim under the lacing but it can be done with fabric strips during fitting or to compensate for wear, for a "permanent" fudge make a "sweep" with the profile needed for clearance and indexing to the grille, or cowl, add and shape a filler of "bondo" with the sweep... once painted only the most discerning of judges would notice. This lasted well for about 10 years until replaced by rubber cord (an experiment, as we had customers who wanted hard lacing to shape the hood as David noted, but did not like the look of fabric).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote