View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #16
JimNNN

Default Re: The T-Bird was in a rain storm yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by runewilliam_merc View Post
JimNNN

In the service manual for mye 1952 Mercury, it states that once a year I should lube the wiper motor:
1: disconnect vacuum hose and put ut in a container with motor oil.
2: turn the wiper switch fully on.
3: manually drag the wiper until it ALMOST reaches the point where it will return
4: manually return wiper to start position.

This will make the wiper motor suck oil into itself and soften the leather seal around the piston.

Rune Waltoft from Norway

Sent fra min S52 via Tapatalk

Quote:
Old Redneck I disconnect the hose at the wiper motor. I squart a few drops of mmo in and use just 5 pounds of air pressure then works the wipers by hand several times. Then install the vacuum hose start the motor and watch the wipers. Should spray water on the windshield. I have done this on several of my early fords that work very well. Make sure the air pressure is no more then 5 pounds. MMO is Marvel Mystery Oil. Some use brake fluid, I was afraid to.
Thanks very much for the instructions runewilliam_merc and Old Redneck. I'll try that on my '61 Mercury. My problem is that I never intentionally drive it in the rain, so the vacuum wipers get a little ignored. Probably the only part of the car that does . I'll replace the blades while I'm at it.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote