View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
OLD AS I

Default Re: 59 V8 rebuild, no oil pressure, NO LONGER

Well I'm still concerned about what to do with the oil/filter change, prefill or start it dry so I thought I'd get in touch with the guy I got it from, chaps name is Phil Goller, web site is http://gollershotrods.com/
Following is my email to him .............
Hello Phil
I got one of the full flow pumps from you, actually picked it up from you at the last fall Hershey meet.
Got it inst'd and getting 32 lbs pressure using a 6 volt battery during turning engine over, not had it running yet.
Have a question, when I go to drain the crankcase and install a new filter can I prefill the filter or does it have to be empty as it needed to be at the initial installation ?
If it should be empty can I at least prefill it, let it drain so the filter fibers have soaked up the oil ?
Following is the reply I got ..............
Hi Chris
Pressure sounds ok for just turning on the starter.
If you pre fill the filter you can get a air pocket in the oil line,
Sometimes if a filter has been per filled I remove the spark plugs, put the filter on but leave it loose crank the starter until I get oil at the filter, then tighten it up and the air will be out. Kind of messy but it works.
When I change oil in my flatheads I just put 6 qt of oil in and put the filter on dry and start it up.
Well for peace of mind I think I'll prefill, remove plugs (can inspect, clean etc them at this time) leave filter loose and crank with ignition off until oil appears then tighten filter, crank to get oil pressure then inst plugs.
OLD AS I is offline   Reply With Quote