View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 11:17 AM   #13
Cadillac Bill

Default Re: What year is my engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Aside from the engine, the body style could/should indicate what year or years the car would fall in. Up till about 1915 the bodies had yearly changes, after 1915 it was more in the detail then actual body restyle. For example, 1915 through 1923 touring bodies look about the same, then there was 1924/25 and 1926/27.
Re mechanical parts, most were made so they could be used on any year. For example, the 1927 pistons could be used in say a 1910.
If you want to learn more about the changes, a good book would be, The Car That Changed the World by Bruce W McCalley.
Sorry to maybe say this, while it looks to be a nice speedster, what you have is a recent creation, not of any historically significant. For any showing/judging, it would need to be entered that way.
Trying to backdate to be a 1913, would more than likely cost more than the car is worth. From the look of the photos would require pretty much everything under the sheet metal (looks to be reproduction) to be replaced to be close to 1913 and you would end up right where you are now, a modern creation.
Enjoy the car as it is for what it is.
You are possibly correct. Please point out what is under the sheet metal being repops? I can't tell. Blanket statement doesn't help me learn. Everything was cleaned and powder coated. I am here to learn (certainly not to argue!) so I don't make repeat mistakes.

It has a lot of new parts, but I bought the car cheap, and it runs great. I was a little put off by it being so sanitary! I better like cars that have some patina!

From your other posts you seem knowledgeable I do ask your opinion? I love to learn!

Here is my '23 Depot Hack. It has an original Martin Perry body. 1914 Touring, 1927 Speedster. Came with its own trailer! One of our brass cars 1913 Marmon 48B Speedster now at the Savoy Automotive Museum "Fast Brass" Exhibit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4574.jpg (120.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 7.JPG (100.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 2-02.jpg (70.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1-05.jpg (104.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4053.jpg (102.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Bill and Anne with Marmon (1).jpg (67.2 KB, 6 views)

You can dissect a Model T, but you can't kill it!

Last edited by Cadillac Bill; 01-29-2023 at 11:34 AM.
Cadillac Bill is offline   Reply With Quote