View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 12:57 PM   #21
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Distributor outer cap gaskets on dome distributors

OKAY, I have sat down with all parts in hand, scratched my head, and other areas, and see how everything is supposed to fit together and work.

I have talked with Michael and he says he usually just puts everything together without the gasket. With all the problems I have had on this, I can understand why.

Anyhow, my problem has apparently been, primarily, that the inner circumference of the gasket, or at least the ones I have gotten, is a little too small to fit on the inner cap, without stretching the gasket to the tearing point. The gasket also does not match up with the outer surface of the caps.

There is also an alignment tab on the gasket side of the inner cap, which prevents the gasket from laying flat on the surface of the inner cap as it should. If I cut the gasket, and separate the ends to where they just barely clear that little alignment tab, the gasket will lay flat and will also extend out to where it aligns with the outer edge of the cap, perfectly.

Maybe I have a bastard aftermarket inner cap, or a cap for the earlier distributor or something, I dunno. I have ordered a new gasket set and, if it don't fit, I'll do whatever modifications that are necessary to make it look right, at least.

With this being only a display engine, it only needs to appear correct. Between the problem with this gasket and a correct fan, (which is a whole different story) this project has really been a headache. Other than this, I have really enjoyed this project and I am glad to be very close to its conclusion.

Thanks for all the help, Guys and Gals

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote