View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 12:21 PM   #25
Alberta50fordor

Default Re: 8ba 275 carb options

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you're planning on running this engine in a '50 Ford Fordor, that's a pretty good cam for your application. I don't think it would be worth the time, money and effort to upgrade to an aftermarket cam.

From what I can see from the pictures supplied, that looks like a fresh engine. I don't think the valves will be much of a problem. I still think you should check the heads. Put pea-sized aluminum foil balls on the valves and crown of the pistons. Bolt the heads on without gaskets (4-6 bolts will do), and try to turn the engine over. If it stops, don't force it and try again with a set of gaskets (used will do). When you get it to turn a couple times, pull the heads and measure the foil balls with a caliper. You will be looking for .045-.050" over the piston crowns and .060" over the valves. Remember that a compressed head gasket is about .055", so be sure to take that into consideration.

Let us know what you find. Second-hand knowledge and published specs are not always reliable. I had a set of used Edmunds heads that had to have .025" milled off of them to bring the quench to optimum.
for now i might put ford heads on, should i check for clearance with those too? should i change out the fiber timing gear? shouldn't there also be locks on the bolt heads?
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote