View Single Post
Old 05-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
Terry,NJ

Default Re: Met a Ford worker

From the Teutonic branch.....
My great Grandfather emigrated (Beat the guys from the Kaiser's Draft board) Came to Newark, NJ, married a Swiss girl, and began his family. His firstborn child, Hermann Dietzold Jr became a Tool and Diemaker. In 1912, He wanted to take his whole family back to visit Germany. They all said "No we're American!" and stayed here. The Kaiser's Draft board had a long memory and a short rope and he had to leave Germany fast. Back to America! In 1917, we joined WWI and Uncle Hermie enlisted in April, went through the whole war as a machine gunner at the front until Nov.10,1918. If he could have only stayed alive 15 more hours he would have made it. My great grandfather had the tragic experience of seeing his adopted country go to war against his native country, twice in his life. He died in 1943.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
If you have stories about "back in the day" grab a recorder and tell them. I wish I had the knowledge on how to put them in a book.

I just finished the book "The Last Doughboys". It is a book of interviews and historical background of the last surviving WWI vets. The author interviewed the vets all over the age of 105. He placed family history and historic details of the time, battles, areas and units.

There is no reason what something like that could not be done with Model A's. It is not just about the cars but the times in which the lives were lived.
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote