View Single Post
Old 05-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Tiny

Default Re: Loose fasteners, I didn't get the memo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I have been preaching this for some time now as most here are the last of a dying breed in that more & more hobbyists just cannot proactively work on their collector cars. Mechanical problem solving, and mechanical reasoning are a struggle for many folks these days, ...and then it is the brain-to-hand coordination that is suffering because many folks just don't get the opportunity to keep these skills sharp on a regular basis. I wonder what this will mean i the future, -not only to the collector car hobby, but in all things similar.
I hear you there. I don't have much experience with loose fasteners as usually the cars I buy are in pieces or the fasteners are rusted together TIGHT. My A is the first "collector" car I've owned that I bought as a running driving car. It was restored over 40 years ago when people knew how to tighten stuff I guess. I tell friends all the time I'm one of the last dinosaurs still roaming the earth! When we have friends over too the house that are non car people they look at my garage with wonder and amazement. Questions like "your wife doesn't park in the garage and what could you possibly need all these tools for?" I had one friend who was truly beside hisself when I didn't call a plumber to fix a clogged drain in the kitchen after a big meal at our house. About 20 minutes later I was done. I try to always do it myself what ever the job is. Sure my modern cars go to the shop if something I can't fix breaks, but my A? That would be blastfomy.

I guess I just would feel less of a "man" if someone else fixed everything for me. I've built several complete cars over the years and broke my share of parts too. But that's how you learn and I truly enjoy the build the most.

Maybe this is why most of my real friends, not work associates or casual friend, are in there 60's to 90's not my age
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote