View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #19
KULTULZ

Red face Re: FE autolite distributor dwell questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

The point plate pivots from a point opposite the vacuum advance arm and swing in a slight arc instead of perfect rotation.

Later dual point distributors with vacuum advance used a breaker plate that rotated in a perfect circle but requires a different cam. Most of the Boss motors and some years of CJ 351/429.
Is this the later style breaker plate assembly you are describing?

I see a pin and slot that seems to not allow the plates to move out of egocentricity ... ... (Where did I come across that word?)

You are correct and I am wrong Sir. The rule is that dwell variation with increased RPM should not vary more than three degrees if not the AUTOLITE two piece breaker plate assy, the upper plate swinging in an arc causes resultant dwell variation that can be up to twelve degrees variation with that design.

I found an old tech sheet and will post it when my scanner returns to Earth orbit.

I am truly sorry if I caused any confusion...

EDIT -

While I am sucking up dust, the second adj hole in the points set is for adjusting points breaker arm spring tension, not dwell angle.

I expect oldmics to call me on the carpet and tear off a few patches...

I was once asked to step out of a bread line because I asked for toast...

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...

Last edited by KULTULZ; 05-27-2018 at 04:23 PM.
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote