Thread: Grinding gears
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Default Re: Grinding gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian in Mississauga View Post
I've been having trouble lately shifting gears quietly. I figured a little adjustment of the clutch release arm was all that was required, it's always worked before and I had more than enough free play. This time it was different, after several adjustments of 1/2 turn the problem is still there. Next I shifted into neutral and took the tower off the tranny. When I spin the motor with the starter and the clutch pedal fully depressed the input shaft (main drive gear) and the cluster gear continue to spin. Is that the way it's supposed to be?
The test you have done is not really meaningful. You only have to have a little bit of friction in the Pilot Bearing or have the clutch disk just barely touching the flywheel or the pressure plate and it's going to spin the gears in the transmission in the setup you have, even when stepping on the clutch pedal. Put the tower back on.

What oil are you using in the transmission? Is it thick? Is it at the proper level?

How many seconds do you pause in neutral before going to the next gear?

I see you are in Canada. Has the temperature dropped quite a bit? That makes the oil in the transmission thicker and it slows down the gears that spin inside the transmission quicker. So try shifting from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 a bit more quickly, hardly pausing in neutral, before the gears spin down quite as much. See if that helps.

After driving for a while, when the oil gets hot, you may have to wait a bit longer in neutral between gears.

Let us know what you find.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote