View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
Pete

Default Re: 8BA lifters noisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dono50 View Post
Have a couple of loud lifters upon initial startup, otherwise runs good, I guess I screwed up the valve lash. Did not use adjustable lifters.
By your first statement, I have to assume you have the equipment to adjust a stock valve train.
First off, forget adjustable lifters. That is a Mickey Mouse fix that has a high potential of failing.
The quickest and most reliable fix is do it like you did it the first time.
First determine which ones are noisy. There may be some that are loose but not noisy also. Fix these also as long as you are in there.
Pull the heads, pull the noisy valves, weld up the stem and re-adjust it.
This will be far faster than replacing the valve with a longer one because a new valve will have to be refaced along with the seat to seal properly and that will put grinding grit in the engine.

For welding the stems, if you have a TIG welder use 347 stainless rod. No explanation needed there.
If no TIG welder, use a torch and #16FC Eutectic rod. This has been used in race engines successfully for years.

When finished adjusting and checking all valves, take the time to go through ALL of the valves again. It is cheap insurance.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote