View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Long distance buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
There are probably businesses that do this for old car buyers, I don't know, but unless the person they send out really knows Model A Fords, I'm not sure how much value they will be. I guess they would prevent you from buying a car that was a real obvious disaster.
I bought one antique car once that was several hundred miles away. I was borrowing a short term note against the car and the bank (thru Hagerty forget the name) insisted the car be appraised.

I called an appraiser I saw listed in Hemmings that was near the town the car was in. And then I called the owner and explained it all. He was a car guy too, so said 'No problem.'

Well, they sent some lady out that didn't know squat about cars. The guy I was buying from said to her 'Don't you want to hear it run or go for a ride?' She said 'Oh, do I have to? Yeah maybe that would be good.' It went downhill from there. Worst 200 bucks I ever had to pony up. I drove out to see the car and look at it myself. I was satisfied and gave the guy the cash. We were both happy. He was very honest and pointed out a few flaws that even I missed off hand. He told me she didn't know what she was doing at all.

So if I did that again, I would get ahold of a MAFCA or MARC or Early Ford V-8 Club member who lived nearby, and pay THEM to look at the car. Natl. club members are more informed and honest.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote