View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
jquinlan

Default Re: Long distance buying

This summer I was looking for a Model 'A' pickup and thought I found a good deal about a thousand miles away. It sounded good and talking to the owner I thought it might be just right. But something didn't feel right. The minimal pictures he had were fuzzy and not good pictures. His used car salesman pitch got my defenses up. He then sent me a video of it running but again, fuzzy and poor quality.

We knew a young lady who lived about 2 hours away who said she would be glad to drive there and take good pictures. I gave her $150.00 for her trouble and to pay for gas and it took a good portion of her day. That was the best $150.00 I ever spent. She took about 300 pictures and video from a detailed list of things I wanted her to photograph. Truck was a hack job and a real mess. It would have been a major disappointment. After reviewing all the pictures and making a long list of what I didn't like about the truck I told the owner I wouldn't be purchasing it. He asked me why and while I was reading the list, he hung up on me and wouldn't return my calls.

Then I found the perfect Model 'A' truck on the MAFCA website which I ended up driving 6000 miles (both ways) to pick up and bring home (it was worth the drive). Most people are honest but not all. Buyer beware.