View Single Post
Old 11-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #13
Tinker

Default Re: Coolant flow diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Hey. Just put it anywhere, it damned sure ain't stock anyhow. Okay, coolant flows from top of radiator to the bottom of the radiator, that gravity thingie don't you know. From there it has to be pumped back to the top of the radiator, via the engine block. "Stuff" don't run up hill. Jeeezze. (The devil made me do it.)

Water flows up hill. Or something like that, I know you are being sarcastic. Just looking at the basic fluid dynamics most engines are not adapt to maximum flow. But fatheads have a special place in that design low river spots. In/out flow points and the block. Most motors of the age really didn't do a great job. Maybe the cad motors.

Hot water rises so going from the top of tank to input to the lower tank works. But it wouldn't work on its own without pumps or flow. All you would have is steam going to the upper rad with out pumps and pressure, so liquid water doesn't flow uphill.

I suppose you could entertain the idea of water cohesive properties. Like adding a rag to a glass of water and letting one end lower outside the glass. It will travel up the rag from the inside of the glass to the outside the glass down the rag.

The in/out water locations in flatheads leave the rear of the block a bit starving. But you know that and seeing the same thing over and over.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-15-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote