View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: Vacuum question on a 351W?

I think a vac canister may work, the trick is capturing the vac when its available, you then have to see how you run when you use it up, at 1100 rpm I have a vac of 11, at 2800 rpm I have a vac of 21, brakes with a booster need 14, a c6 automatic trans requires 12 solid. I plan to fab up a 1 gallon air vessel, I will place a full size vac tube from the intake to the vessel and try to insert a check valve into the line with a very low trip spring rate, I will pull 2 small vac feeds off the vessel to the brakes and trans, the big test will be how much vacuum will I be able to store as residual compared to what I require to operate, stop and go driving will be the test, regardless of how I fare I will need a storage vessel, if I cannot get to a balanced vac then I will resort to a negative pressure pump system.
The problem I am trying to resolve is a dumping of vacuum when the brakes are applied and the transmission shifts, with such a low vacuum on the engine it has no buffer to absorb the required vac being pulled off and goes to a rich burn cycle and stumbles, the initial timing suffers as it drops from 16 to 6 degrees and the rpm drops from 1100 to 600 will stumble and eventually die as the spark is not being discharged at the prime time. I think George needs the canister, at 14-16 vac he should have enough residual to not require the vac pump.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote