View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #1
JD

Default 1934 pickup leaking fuel from filler neck

My 1934 pickup is leaking fuel from the filler neck area. I knew the truck had this problem when I bought it and I assumed a leaky seam on the tank or a leak in the filler neck so I removed the tank and had it checked out. There was a slight leak at the seam near the filler pipe and this was resoldered. The tank was cleaned and leak tested and I re-installed it in the truck.

When driving it after that I noticed wet fuel stains on the rear guard below the filler neck so I took it for a drive with my son following in another vehicle. He soon got me to pull over and stop because fuel was sloshing out every time the truck went around a corner. I suspected the seal in the locking gas cap so replaced it with a rubber cap (small vent hole in centre) but this made no difference. This occurred with a full tank. I tried another drive with the tank half full but the problem persisted. I have since borrowed an original style fuel cap from a friend's 34 sedan but again this made no difference, in fact fuel was spilling out past the cap before I even got to the end of the driveway. There are no issues with this cap when in use on the sedan.

It's almost as if the fuel is under pressure but as far as I know this is not a pressurised system. Could it be a broken or missing baffle inside the tank? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Dudson
JD is offline   Reply With Quote