View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #25
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Good evening Bick.

It is like a tracer torch or an fast oxy-acetylene torch.

It is a VERY high pressure water flow thu a small nozzle and is accompanied by fine grains of sand and / or other material / abrasive. The thing that I like the most about it is the fact that it has a very narrow 'curf' angle that can result a very small differance in tolerance from the top of a part to the bottom. It is not so important for sheet metal parts, but for thicker parts this can be quite an advantage.

The convenient thing for me is that I really like to make drawings and once a drawing is made in a CAD type program, the drawing can be saved as a .dxf (or similar) file extension and emailed to the water jet 'guy' and he can put that file directly into the water jet software program, and it will 'spit out' a part very quickly.

The water jet can cut out many different types of material with VERY close accuracy, and there is MINIMAL rework or modifications to do once the part has been cut. I was able to get the holes for the wood screws water jetted in place, c so that all we had to do was countersink for the wood screw and fasten them in place.