View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #23
RockHillWill

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Here is a few pics of current progress.
I am trying to bet some of the work done on this project before Ethan goes back to school. I try to work most of the day, as I got way behind with the Panel project, but late in the afternoon, we have been working on the speedster.

We have the steel vertical water jetted pieces installed and today we welded up the removeable horizontal supports.

The wood came back from the water jet guy this afternoon and we got the front radiator shroud buck assembled. It took both of us a total of 4 minutes to screw the pieces together. I love that water jet! The wood was .573 to .577" thick and I made the intersecting slots at .580" wide. They all slid together, and were screwed in place with no glue required, and it is removeable for changes if needed.

The rear tail section lower metal form needs to be changed to more closely match the shape of the wooden buck. It's contour was developed from the SolidWorks program, and I did a poor job of estimating the contour.

At this point, I expect to make all the panels below the horizontal supports to be bolted to the frame structure and most of the panels above the horizontal supports will be removeable with 'Dzus' fasteners that I had left over from working at Indy a number of years ago. I should have enough for this project.

This design is admittedly quite simple, but it is my first attempt at an entire project that is from scratch, as opposed to doing repair and restoration work that I have been accustomed to. I have not worked with aluminum body panels before and that is the primary reason for this first effort.

3wc27 004.jpg

3wc27 005.jpg

3wc27 007.jpg

3wc27 012.jpg

3wc27 015.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 08-22-2012 at 07:27 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote