View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 10:56 AM   #257
HarveyH

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
What kind of wood is used to build s woodie? Thanks
rer_239
I don't know why the professionally-built Hucksters and Station Wagons are built with a particular wood but many of the homebuilders seem to prefer Red Oak because it's readily available and cuts and finishes nicely. However, I'm planning to use White Oak on my own Huckster Van project because it's supposedly more resistant to humidity-induced "mold spotting". (And Lord knows we've got plenty of humidity here in SE Texas!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
And what are the dimensions of the wood used as the frame. Looks bigger than 2x2. What is used for the flat panels?
Thanks
rer_239
The answer to that question is dependent upon whether you're duplicating an original, or a modern professionally or amateur-built Huckster, Station Wagon, or ???

I strongly urge you to purchase a set of plans and follow their lumber callouts. Building without a set of plans or drawings would be difficult. (Not impossible, but definitely harder!) There are several sources of quality plans available for the amateur builder. I got mine from WagonWorks and I was quite humbled when I realized how much work, trial & error, and wasted money would have been required if I had tried to build one without plans!!!

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 12-30-2017 at 01:18 PM.
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote