View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Just purchased and New Berg Radiator Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Is there any data that shows the proper amount of a name brand anti-rust and distilled water is less effective in preventing rust than 50/50 water/antifreeze?

I realize that if you live where it might freeze that 50/50 should be the choice, but how about for those that live where there is no chance of freezing?

Hi Dick,

Seems I've opened this debate again. A year or so ago I looked at all the info I could find, and concluded that antifreeze has better rust/scale prevention than distilled water/additives. I just spent an hour reviewing what I saved, but can not find the info I saw that absolutely supports my view - sorry.

My view is that if rust/scale prevention is high on your list in making a decision of what to use, antifreeze is best. Back flush yearly in the fall. Even though not data driven, there have been posts about when taking a head/water pump off on cars running antifreeze the interior/guts are spotless - no rust/scale.

I have seen this claim for antifreeze, but do not recall seeing this claim for cars running distilled water/additives.

If someone is more concerned about best cooling, distilled water/rust-scale inhibitor/Waterwetter would be the choice. If it was me running this I would probably do a treatment in the fall of dawn, then thermocure or rust 911, or evaporust every year or two. Also backflush thoroughly.

My views, if there is other conclusive information/data that disagrees, am open to changing my mind.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote