View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
tanner

Default Stubborn Starter Drive

My 49 F-1 starter was dragging badly so I removed it and had it rebuilt. I was using the newer style bendix from D. Carpenter and had a devil of a time getting it out although I had previously notched the end of the bendix as instructed to get it past the flywheel. Just to be safe, I installed my new spare bendix with new notch to facilitate installation and after using all of my best curse words, finally got it in and all hooked up. Tried it out and engine fired in a split second but the started was raising holy h... so I shut it off and proceeded to remove it. New bendix is toast.
Here is my problem: For the life of me I cannot get the dang bendix out past the ring gear teeth. I even took the case off the starter to get more wiggle room but no luck. I've fought it and cussed it for over four hours.
Question: When installed, the bendix goes into a "sheet metal can" on the back of the bell housing. Is this can removable? I can rotate it with channel locks but am afraid to use too much force. If I had it out, I think I could remove the bendix from the starter shaft. Otherwise, I might have to remove the transmission to get the bendix out. Needless to say, I have an original spring style (made in USA) on the way if and when I can get this one out.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote