View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 02:50 AM   #17
Karl

Default Re: members that have collected other car besides ford

I have restored a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine and a 1910 Hupmobile .
The Alpine was relatively easy as the mechanical bits largely interchanged with period Rootes Group vehicles When I restored it these parts were common but not now !

The Hupmobile is a whole different ball game .Parts are simply not available. What you need you make copying them off others original parts or making patterns and casting them. You are helped a little by the simplicity of the mechanicals -No water pump No oil pump No hydraulics Simple gearbox etc However a milling machine and a lathe certainly become your friend . The other trick is to modify parts to fit . Robert Hupp worked for Ford in the Model R and S days before forming his own company . Hence many of the Hupp components are very simaler to early Fords. My Hupp runs a disguised Model T Diff and internals and Model T spindles, Hubs and wheels which are all available . All body panels were hand rolled- again the minimalist body is your friend
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HupmobileVCC.jpg (89.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Alpine4.jpg (111.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Karl; 12-30-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote