Thread: Gear ratio
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Joe K

Default Re: Gear ratio

I converted my 29 CC pickup to 3.54. Driving it from my parents house in mid-Massachusetts to my new house in Seacoast NH I was followed on the way by my father with "tools, spare parts" and his somewhat familiarity with the car - and a tow cable.

The engine was newly replaced and still on the initial trials - hence the insecurity on my part. (what if we did something wrong?)

We followed the back-roads rather than the more time effective and then quite new Route 495. Route 110 figured heavily in my navigation which is a road which passes through the center of EVERY small town on the way - my rationale being I'd rather coast into a local garage for service by someone who MAY know cars, or leave myself to a "towing service" of unknown destination and probably not trivial cost.

On our trip, I attempted to maintain the speed limits, whatever it was. There are sections of Route 110 which are posted (then) 55mph, and a lesser 40mph as one approaches towns dropping to even 25 within the town limits.

Meanwhile, my speedometer was at best "approximate" and somewhat "in and out." Some issue then and suddenly with the cable ends and pot metal gears?

On our arrival in NH with no problems and having made good time my father had commentary for me. "You drive too fast - you were up to 68 mph at times in a car which you shouldn't be driving half that fast because of your brakes."

I really had no sense of going that fast. The car took it well albeit the soft top on that CC pickup can really get to "fluttering." above 60.

Since then I have resolved both of the speedo issues (broken cable and the cable would "catch" and do a couple of dozen turns and then "disengage", plus the gear ratio correction.)

Joe K